As we have stated in class, an important method of expression in critical thinking is through one of the forms of dialectic.
Your task in this essay is to apply the principles of Hegelian dialectic to Theogony and “Works and Days.”
– “Hegelian dialectic” (which Hegel attributes to Kant!) is a synthesis consisting of a problem (Thesis), reaction (Body of the Essay) and solution Conclusion.
1. Choose from the list of topics below; choose two topics from Theogony and one topic from “Works and Days” to treat:
384-405 (the story of Styx, Ocean’s daughter)
537-565 (Zeus & Prometheus)
573-620 (Pandora; attitude towards women)
649-667 (War speeches of Zeus & Kottos)
781-812 (Styx’s role)
“Works and Days”
1-41 (The two Strifes)
42-57; 316-355 (Addresses to Perses)
130-234 (The “Ages of Humanity”)
247-315 (Justice & Injustice)
419-421; 458-459; 769-780 (Attitude towards women)
2. After thinking about your chosen topics, fashion a thesis/problem concerning the thought of Hesiod; this is a “problem” in the sense that it is something to think about & write about.
– The “problem” takes the big picture of Hesiod’s work. What does he want us to know? How does he want us to act? What attitudes does he was us to have towards the gods, life, work, war, speaking, etc.?
3. Compose a synthesis of three paragraphs, each containing one of your chosen topics This is your “reaction” to the “problem.”
4. Your brief “solution,” a summation of your thought and its answer to the thesis/problem.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more